The first Samborne known to be of Timsbury was John, the eldest son of Nicholas Samborne of Mapledurham Oxfordshire. He was born in 1490. In 1542 he inerited from his mother’s cousin, Lady mary Lisle, manors in Maiden Newton and Upper Sydling in Dorset as well as the manor of Timsbury in Somerset. Timsbury House is thought to have been built in late Elizabethan period, so it is likely John Samborne built the house.
The family tree below shows the descendents of John Samborne. The manor passed through the male line until Thomas Samborne (1687-1723) who died without an heir. At that time the manor passed to his sister Margaret. Margaret married Anthony Palmer of Ashwick Somerset. From this point the family names are a combination of Samborne and Palmer.
The thirteenth Samborne who was lord of the manor, was John Stucley Palmer Samborne (1861-1952). The family left Timsbury House in 1938. During Wor;d War II it was used as an military establishment. After the war it was briefly a girls finishing school. The building was demolished in 1961.
You can find out more information about the Sambornes by clicking on each of the links below: