In 1951 Timsbury Manor House went up for auction. It was one of Somerset’s most historic ancestral seats being the home of the Samborne family for centuries. Barnaby Samborne was standard bearer to Queen Elizabeth I and was knighted by her in 1594. Interesting relics of the Tudor period still held an honoured place in the Hall which was ornamented with panelling and many coats of arms although the Samborne family had relinquished ownership of the Manor at the beginning of World War 2. In the 1950s the Manor was to become a finishing school for young ladies and then in 1961 was shamefully demolished.
Visitors to Timsbury Secondary Modern School’s second speech day were greatly impressed by an outdoor vivarium (snake pit) which had been constructed by the older boys under the supervision of Mr. Penrose. The address was given by Captain W.B. Scobell, the chairman of the governors and the school said goodbye to Mr. Bert Blake who was leaving to take on the headship of the village primary school. Mr. Blake who remained at St. Mary’s until his retirement in 1973 had been a professional footballer in his younger days and had made a tremendous impact as sportsmaster at the Secondary School.
In 1951 Mrs May Cox, President of the Women’s section of the Timsbury British Legion gave a supper and party to all members to celebrate her seventieth birthday. Mrs Cox who had been associated with the branch since its formation was presented with a writing case and pen by Mrs. Thatcher. She also received a framed illuminated address written on vellum from Mrs. Swansbury on behalf of the men’s section of the Legion.
A party of thirty Timsbury Young Farmers visited the works of Standard Motor Co. Ltd. and Harry Ferguson’s Ltd. Coventry. They saw the Standard Vanguards, Mayflowers and Triumphs being assembled and saw where the Ferguson tractors were made. The assembly line was considered by the Americans to be the best equipped and managed in the world and nearly £3 million was spent on equipping the line with tools alone.
The Timsbury and District Boxing Club was thriving in 1951 and there was great excitement when it was announced that local boy Cliff Purnell had signed a five year professional contract with the Freddie Mills’ camp. Cliff who had been working at Pensford Colliery and was the 1951 National Coal Board champion became attached to Jack Solomon’s stable and was managed by Nat Seller. Like many others at Timsbury boxing club Cliff’s progress owed much to trainer Bill Miles.
The annual Youth Eisteddfod of the Paulton Methodist circuit was held at Timsbury Secondary Modern School. There were sixty-seven classes with Farrington Gurney eventually winning the cup. Timsbury successes included David Russell and Tony Taviner (art posters), Iris Biggs(Clarke) for watercolours, Kathleen Sims (Senior) with her knitting, Wendy Padfield (Chivers) for embroidery and handicraft and Terry Thatcher (woodwork).
At Timsbury Congregational Church the new organ was dedicated by the Rev. Skeys of Bristol. There were organ solos from L. Milsom of Midsomer Norton and items by Alec Dando (bass) and Annette Milsom (elocutionist).
The W.E.A. Dramatic Society attracted packed houses for its autumn production of “The Camel’s Back” by Arnold Helsby. Produced by May Cox and Roland Pickford it received favourable reviews in the local press. Amongst the cast were Gladys Smith, Audrey Packham (Cattle), Roland Pickford, Florence Newth (Button), Edith Nicholson, Joyce Nicholson (Berry) and Arthur Moon.
Finally the village said goodbye to two of its most prominent inhabitants. Oliver Lewis who died of thrombosis at the age of 66 had represented the village on Clutton Rural District Council for twenty-two years. A tireless worker for the Labour Party he had been one of the principal figures during the General Strike of 1926. A devout Methodist he worshipped regularly at Tabor Church and was also clerk to the governors at Timsbury Secondary Modern School. Oliver Janes who died at the same age had founded the Timsbury Male Voice Choir and was for thirty years clerk to the Parish Council. He was also a governor at the Secondary Modern School and a loyal member of South Road Methodist Church.