In 1938 village life went serenely on with no real conception of the threat lurking in Germany that was soon to turn people’s lives upside down.
For those of you who are dismayed by the indiscipline on the soccer fields these days it may be worth taking note of the action sixty years ago. According to the reporter of the day an unfortunate incident brought the Somerset League game between Watchet Town and Timsbury Athletic to an abrupt conclusion a few minutes after half-time. The referee pulled up play for a foul and spoke to one of the Timsbury players. For a few minutes there was a heated altercation and eventually the Timsbury side left the field in a body giving the referee no option but to abandon the match.
The popular dance band of the day was clearly the one led by Norman Weaver of Tunley. He played at a Carnival dance that was held in the Churchroom in January 1938 and then later in the year provided the music for a Cricket Club social. Artistes at the latter function were Madame Hilda Lewis and Miss F. Yandell of Bristol (solos and duets), Master Ron Kingman of Paulton (pianoforte solos), Mr. H. Manley, tenor gold medallist of Paulton and Mr. Roy Andrews (piano accordion). The M.C. was Mr. J.W. Coombs.
During this period members of the North Somerset Group of the Left Book Club used to meet at The Bungalow, Kingwell. “Socialism and Individual Freedom” was the subject of their discussion in March and they passed a motion urging all peace-loving people to take action to force the National Government to resign. Meanwhile Clutton Rural District Council applying the Housing Act of 1936 issued a schedule ordering the demolition of a number of buildings in Timsbury. The districts involved included Bloomfield, Meadgate, South View, Baker’s Parade, The Square, Rectory Lane, Tanyard and Hook. The orders had to be ratified by the Minister of Health.
Cambrook House at Clutton was the local Workhouse in 1938 or the Public Assistance Institution as it was known. Timsbury Male Voice Choir under their conductor Oliver Janes paid the Institution a visit in March of that year with Mr. Percy Broomfield who was a member of the Guardians Committee there presiding. During the interval the choir handed round gifts of cigarettes, sweets and other gifts.
Older members of the village will probably remember Tom Evans who retired as the village postman on June 25th. He began as a part-time postman in 1893, became full-time in 1897 and altogether put in 45 years service under H.M. Postmaster General. Mr. Evans who was also a Parish Councillor was presented with a gift by village Postmistress Mrs. Cox and then received the Imperial Service Medal conferred on him by King George VI from the Head Postmaster of Bath, Mr. W.T. Preddy.
Finally how would you like to feel 20 years younger? The secret in 1938 was clearly Dr. Cassell’s Tablets. Mrs. Bedford Gaunt revealed how they ended her continual tiredness, stopped her dizziness, strengthened her weak stomach and relieved her nervy feelings!