Hayeswood Pit opened around 1750 and later came under the control of the Palmer, Mogg & Crang partnership in 1792. The shaft(s) were 6 feet in diamenter and 642 feet deep. In 1841, it was decided to erect a new coke oven.
There was a serious accident in January 1845 when a hudge (a bucket for hoisting coal or miners) carrying seven men was drawn over the wheel, injuring the miners. It was put down to the inattention of the winding engineman.
Just weeks later – on the 4th February 1845 – the workings were inundated by water from older workings at a time when almost 100 men and boys were underground. Those who died from drowning were:
John Flower, aged about 55 years who left a wife and seven children.
George Palmer, aged 43 years, single.
Joseph Gillick, who left three children and a wife who was expecting their fourth.
John Carter, a widower with two children.
Daniel Pickford, who left a wife and two children.
William Cleaves, who left a wife and six children, two of whom worked in the mine.
James Evans, who left a wife and two children.
Mark Brice, a lad.
George Lewis, a lad.
John Collins, a lad.
William Walter, a lad.
On 10th February, a special meeting of the proprietors recorded their great sense of the intrepid and humane conduct of Findlater Crang Esq. ……. in descending and remaining underground and by his energy and example encouraging the men in their attempts to recover the bodies of those who perished….
As a result, the pit was closed with the men and output being apportioned among the nearby workings. Attempts to pump out these workings failed, so Hayeswood closed in June 1845.
S. S. Samborne, the landowner, took possesion of the pit and plant and by 1856, Hayeswood Pit was back at work. However, by May 1858 its profitabilty was in doubt. It finally closed in or about 1862.