The planning application to develop the derelict site at the corner of North Road and The Avenue has at last been approved by B&NES Council, with some conditions currently being investigated. 26 new houses will be built, plus some office spaces. There will be a new road onto North Road and pedestrian facilities. This follows much consultation by the owner with the Parish Council and the village during 2018.
The development will be called ‘Upper Conygre’ after the name of the coal mine on the site which was in use from 1791 until 1916. Since then it was ‘Wheelers Yard’ which was a cement block works. The ‘Lower’ Conygre pit was off Radford Hill. Once the conditions have been met building will start soon with completion in stages in 2022.
The development in summary will include:
- 26 dwellings, mainly houses plus some flats, with 8 ‘affordable’ as 5 ‘social rented’ and 3 ‘shared ownership’ by the owner.
- 70 parking spaces
- Offices with extra parking as required in this ‘mixed use’ site in the B&NES Local Plan
- Widening of the pavement on the Avenue up to the bend, and new pavements in North Road
- Pedestrian access through the site from The Avenue to North Road
- New highway entrance on North Road with a speed table
- Extension of the 20mph zone to include the whole site
- Protection of wildlife and some trees linked to the batch next door, plus new trees and landscaping
- Renewable energy & efficiency on houses
Funding will be provided for ‘play & recreation’ on the Conygre Field held by B&NES Council. Also, the Parish Council will receive Community Infrastructure Levy funding to pay for facilities and services in the village.
In addition, B&NES Council will work with the Parish Council to find a way to widen the pavement on the bend on The Avenue, which is not part of this development.
The naming of the site as ‘Upper Conygre’ was requested by the village in memory of the name of the coal pit on the site, with an information board at the entrance to the site.
A Plan of the site can be seen below and on the noticeboard beside the Fish & Chip shop and the full details online at B&NES Planning Portal here.