As a result of Bible preaching efforts in the village in the 1920’s, five of the local inhabitants were baptised. They formed the nucleus of the Christadelphian Meeting. Their first breaking of the bread meeting was held at a private house, Belle Vue. However, by 1931 they had acquired the old Congregational Chapel built in 1825. Soon they were well established with a thriving Sunday School which held its first outing by charabanc to Weston-super-Mare in June 1931.
The first winter held its problems for the members with defects in a coke burning stove which poured back its smoke through walls and under the roof. Paraffin lamps also added to the problems, but soon this was overcome.
Some of the congregation of the Chapel outside the entrance on Maggs Hill
In 1980 during re-roofing, the original thatch roof was discovered. At this time one of the original Sunday School scholars still assisted in running the Meeting.
In 2004 the Chapel was coverted to a residential dwelling.
Reproduced from ‘The Timsbury Book’ by kind permission of Timsbury Parish Council.