Timsbury is believed to be of Anglo-Saxon period, and is listed in the Domesday Book.
The name of the village has variously been called Timfborough, Tymmersbarue, Timsbarrow (meaning Timbered grove), and Temsbury. In the Norman record it is described as the Bishop of Coutances’s land, and also that of Odo Flandrensis.
In the time of King Henry III in 1216 these lands were the property of the family of Waddowe, who held it until the reign of Henry VI in 1422.
The St Loe family held this manor until the reign of Henry VIII in 1509, but alienated it, and it was afterwards possessed by the Sambornes who resided in Timsbury for many generations.
In 1644 the village consisted of about 50 houses, most of which formed a street near the Parish Church, which was rebuilt in 1826 after fire had destroyed the previous church. Built on a Norman site, it has a Norman-style tower and beautiful stained glass windows. In the chancel a tablet is dedicated to the Samborne family, and a monument showing Sir Barnaby Samborne in armour is also in the church.
From the early 1800s Timsbury became a busy mining area and at the industry’s peak had working coal mines at Amesbury, Mearns, Tyning, Hayeswood, Old Grove, Withy Mills and Upper and Lower Conygre.
Today Timsbury is a residential village, the coal pits having long since closed down, and has many buildings of both architectural and historical interest contained mainly in the Conservation Area.
From ‘Know your Timsbury’ published in 1993 by the Parish Council.