Timsbury Parish Council is the local public authority below the primary B&NES Council. It consists of up to 13 unpaid voluntary Parish Councillors, who are appointed or elected every 4 years. These local residents have the very local knowledge to make decisions and take action on any issue for the whole community.
It is funded mainly by a small Precept tax from residents which is added to your Council Tax each year at a cost of an average of about £1 a week. The Finance is reported here.
It usually meets on the first Monday of each month at 7.30pm in the Conygre Hall. Members of the public are always welcome. Agendas and minutes of meetings are published here and on noticeboards outside the chip shop and inside the Conygre Hall.
The Parish Council achieves so much because it works with many helpful residents, groups and businesses to help the village be a happy place to live and work in and to function well.
The Parish Council does the following:
- Makes comments on planning applications in the village that B&NES receives, and develops strategic house building plans with B&NES.
- Acts as a voice for the village with B&NES and voluntary groups on their services.
- Owns the allotments site in Lippiat Lane, which is managed by the Allotments Committee.
- Owns the Miners’ Memorial Garden in Rectory Lane, the war memorial in Newmans Lane, the HaHa path and other small spaces.
- Works with the independent Conygre Trust which manages the Recreation Field and Play Area (which we part fund), and the Conygre Hall, and is a custodian of their deeds.
- Runs the Hub Library based in the YMCA in South Road.
- Has a Planting & Spaces group who arrange lovely plantings around the village.
- Supports two youth projects in the village.
- Employs a street sweeper and litter picker part time.
- Coordinates the Community Payback Teams who help on clearance and maintenance.
- Part-funds the management of the cemetery with St. Marys Church.
- Provides amenities such as 15 of the street lights, the benches, bins and signs.
- Promotes pedestrian and road safety.
- Supports some of the many local groups from time to time to develop their initiatives.
- Contracts an editor to publish the monthly Timsbury Newsletter.
- Manages this village website and noticeboards.
- Owns and manages the Defibrillator outside the Conygre Hall – see below.
- Employs a part-time Clerk who carries out many of its tasks and manages its finances.
Planting, Spaces and Paths
There is a working group that coordinates planting and environmental improvements in the parish, including using planters which are paid for by the Parish Council.
The Parish Council also manages some paths such as the HaHa from Somerset Folly to Tyning and also the Miner’s Memorial Garden by Rectory Lane.
The Conygre recreation field and Hall is managed by the Conygre Trust, and the Parish Council is a custodian of the deeds.
Some residents have published some wonderful walks around the area.
The Parish Council owns 15 street lights in and around the village.
The Parish Council owns the allotments off Lippiat Lane, although the day to day management is coordinated by the Allotment Committee. See more detail here.
This is available outside the main door of the Conygre Hall, North Road BA2 0JQ.
If someone is having a heart attack follow the instructions shown to use it – phone and ask for the Ambulance Service. For more information about the equipment see here.
The machine is checked and managed by a resident on behalf of the Parish Council.