In 1929 Labour became the largest single party for the first time and Ramsay Macdonald led them in government. The First Commissioner of Works was M.P. George Lansbury and in September of that year he spoke at Timsbury School at a meeting organised by Timsbury Labour Party. Two years later a sterling crisis split the government and Labour was nearly wiped out at the election. Lansbury was subsequently made leader of the party but in 1935 the committed pacifist was forced to resign when Labour called for rearmament.
Peace was still a dominating issue in 1929 and the Timsbury Co-operative Women’s Guild armistice celebrations took the form of a one-act sketch stressing the pacifist theme. A resolution moved by the President, Mrs. E. Lewis renewed the pledge to work for total disarmament and the removal of all causes of war.
The West Country experienced one of the worst blizzards of recent years in 1929. Many roads were blocked and travel was very difficult. The wintry weather had an adverse affect on employment in the district. The severe frosts and snow put a stop to a great deal of casual work and men engaged in industries such as stone quarries, concrete works and brick works had to lose several days’ work.
Somerset Education Committee announced that Timsbury had been chosen as the site for a senior school which would serve the district. There were also proposals to erect a new Primary school providing classroom accommodation for 250 scholars although these plans never came to fruition. The new senior school which was to eventually open in 1934 was to have provision for a special subjects’ room to provide for manual instruction and domestic subjects. This would enable the tuition to be given at one centre instead of in hired rooms at several centres as was the case.
The annual sports’ meeting was held at Kingwell Hall School, a boys’ prep school, with 25 athletic events taking place amidst the school’s picturesque grounds along the end of Hayeswood Road. Music was provided by the Radstock Silver Band and during the interval the guests were entertained to tea in the school buildings by the Headmaster Mr. Sydney L. Allan.
After a lapse of 4 years the village sports took place again on the Glebe Field. Excellent sport was witnessed on a specially prepared grass track and prizes were on offer to the value of £80. During the afternoon it was reported that much amusement was caused by Chasewater Charlie and his partner from Plymouth, two trick cycle riders whose manipulation of a specially made bicycle was well received. The attendance, however, was disappointing and a financial loss was feared.
Mr. J.E. Bowditch of Timsbury, the well known sweet pea grower and exhibitor was successful in the classes open to all England at the Bristol Co-operative Sweet Pea and Rose show. He won the gold medal and first and second prizes for his sweet peas and also staged a fine display of sweet peas containing over 4000 stems.
In 1929 just like the present day the authorities were becoming aware of a need for more burial ground. The problem then was solved by Mr. J.S.P. Sambourne of Timsbury House who presented a piece of land adjoining the existing church burial ground. The extension was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Bath and Wells, Dr. Wynne Willson, in the presence of an assembly of clergy and congregation.
In May 1929 a serious accident occurred at Coalpit Corner crossroads when there was a collision between a car owned by Mrs. Speakman of Hillside, Timsbury and a lorry owned and driven by Leonard Salvidge also from the village. Mrs. Speakman whose car was being driven by her chauffeur received extensive injuries mostly from flying glass. 5 years earlier a double fatal accident had seen two people killed at the same spot and considerable improvements had been carried out to try and remove the risk of accidents.
Finally the death was reported of Mrs Emily Price, wife of the former stationmaster at Camerton. Actively involved with St. Mary’s Church she was a member of the P.C.C. and took a great interest in the Independent Order of Good Templars. She was also village correspondent for the Somerset Guardian for over 30 years. Clearly a very busy lady!