In February 1921 Sergeant W.S. Swansbury of Crocombe received official notification that he had been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Sergeant Swansbury had been called up at the outbreak of the Great War and served in France throughout its duration. In the period between September 28 and November 1 1918 he had particularly distinguished himself by his gallantry and devotion to duty frequently taking ammunition wagons to forward gun positions under heavy fire.
After the horrors of the war peace was prominent in everyone’s mind and a public meeting was held at Tabor Chapel by the Radstock branch of the League of Nations. Rev. W.C. Harraway presided and an address was given by Mr. G. Gregory of Radstock. After the address a discussion took place and a resolution in favour of the League was carried unanimously.
A missionary effort of “a most successful and inspiring character” was held in connection with St. Mary’s Church. From Wednesday to Saturday in the week beginning February 4 lady pilgrims visited the homes of residents with messages of inspiration and cheer and were cordially received by the inhabitants. On the Saturday evening “an interesting and edifying lecture” was given by Mr. Eastfield the headmaster of Monkton Combe Junior School.
The Timsbury Parish meeting forwarded a motion to the Clutton Rural District Council protesting about the lavish expenditure of the District Council in raising the salaries of their officers. Mr. Norris stated that they had a lively meeting at Timsbury and hoped other parishes would take a keener interest in the action of their representatives.
Timsbury Co-operators held their annual sports day with a village tea for some 400 people at the Temperance Hall catered for in 2 sittings. The children paraded the village in various costumes representing Co-op products led by the Single Hill Silver Prize Band. They all then gathered in a field near the Temperance Hall for attractions such as swings, coconut shies and Punch and Judy. A public meeting was held on the field in the evening with the main speaker, Rev. Woods of Taunton urging everyone to be loyal to the Co-operative Movement.
A meeting was held at the pit-top of Camerton Colliery on October 20 1921 at the end of the morning shift to make a presentation to Oliver Lewis of Timsbury on his relinquishing the post of miners’ representative. Mr. F. Swift, the miners’ agent, presented him with a massive black marble eight-day striking clock and paid tribute to Mr. Lewis’ tenacity in fighting a cause he believed to be right. In giving up his work with the Trade Union movement he was to concentrate his efforts on working for the Labour Party. His son Ronald was later to become a M.P. for the party in Carlisle and his grandsons Keith and Richard and granddaughter Marina still live in the village.
Special services were held at South Road Methodist Church to mark the re-opening of the building after extensive alterations to the interior. There had also been a complete re-modelling of the organ and this was unlocked and dedicated by Mr. G.P. Caple J.P. of Stanton Prior. A programme of vocal and instrumental items followed.
Timsbury Athletic made history in 1921 by reaching the first-round proper of the F.A. Amateur Cup for the first time ever. Along the way they had beaten teams such as Chippenham, Calne, Purton Workmen, Spencer Moulton and arch rivals Radstock Town before eventually losing 2-0 away to Swindon Victoria. The ties attracted large enthusiastic crowds and at the home matches Tunley Brass Band was in attendance.
On the cricket field meanwhile the star performers were bowlers Charlie Nicholls (second from left in back row) and George Ford. At home to Bridgeyate, Timsbury bowled out the visitors for 12 with Nicholls taking 5-1 and Ford 4-6. Then in the return encounter Bridgeyate were bowled out for 29 with Ford taking 7-10 and Nicholls 3-13. The leading batsman of the day was Captain Sheriff (middle of front row) who lived at Parish’s House.