Below are outlined major land use planning applications which the Parish Council considers at its monthly meetings – see its meeting papers and decisions and how to speak at its meetings here.
The Parish Council can only comment on applications to B&NES Council who make the decision. See the B&NES planning page here and search for Timsbury.
Upper Conygre site / ‘Wheelers’, North Road
Updated March 2020
The planning application to develop the derelict site at the corner of North Road and The Avenue was approved in Martch 2020 by B&NES Council. 26 new houses will be built, plus some office spaces. There will be a new road onto North Road and pedestrian facilities. This follows much consultation by the owner with the Parish Council and the village during 2018.
The development will be called ‘Upper Conygre’ after the name of the coal mine on the site which was in use from 1791 until 1916. Since then it was ‘Wheelers Yard’ which was a cement block works. The Lower Conygre pit was off Radford Hill. Building will start soon with completion in stages in 2022. The development in summary will include:
- 26 dwellings, mainly houses plus some flats, with 8 ‘affordable’ as 5 ‘social rented’ and 3 ‘shared ownership’ by the owner.
- 70 parking spaces
- Offices with extra parking as required in this ‘mixed use’ site in the B&NES Local Plan
- Widening of the pavement on the Avenue up to the bend, and new pavements in North Road
- Pedestrian access through the site from The Avenue to North Road
- New highway entrance on North Road with a speed table
- Extension of the 20mph zone to include the whole site
- Protection of wildlife and some trees linked to the batch next door, plus new trees and landscaping
- Renewable energy & efficiency on houses
Funding will be provided for play & Recreation on the Conygre Field held by B&NES Council. Also, the Parish Council will receive Community Infrastructure Levy funding to pay for facilities and services in the village. In addition, B&NES Council will work with the Parish Council to find a way to widen the pavement on the bend on The Avenue, which is not part of this development.
The naming of the site as ‘Upper Conygre’ was requested by the village in memory of the name of the coal pit on the site, with an information board at the entrance to the site.
Details of the application are on the B&NES website here.
Land south of Loves Hill for up to 45 houses
The Government Planning Inspector dismissed (26th Jan 2017) the developer’s Appeal (APP/F0114/W/16/3154927) against Bath&NES decision to refuse outline planning permission for this.
The reasons given for his decision included:
- The site lies just outside the housing development boundary of Timsbury.
- The site is part of the less well developed western approach to the village fronting on to a narrow, enclosed lane that would require improvement that would significantly alter the existing approach to the village.
- The new buildings would appear as a prominent feature that would further erode the rural character of this side of the village.
- The development would fail to conserve or enhance the distinctive character of the area and the wider landscape.
Since then another separate outline application for 20 houses on the same site (16/04260/OUT) was withdrawn by the developers on 1st February 2017 when they had heard that B&NES were likely to refuse it on similar grounds.
A lot of effort had been made by residents and the Parish Council in making the case against this application which was not included in the B&NES Placemaking Plan for Timsbury.
Other Planning Applications
Demolition and replacement of existing sun room to the rear and erection of a first floor rear extension over the existing. Application reference: 17/06022/FUL received on 11/12/2017. Consultation closed 03/01/2018
Conversion and extension of an existing care home building into 11no self-contained 2bed units for the elderly (C3 use with age restriction). Application reference: 17/05818/FUL received on 29/11/2017. Consultation closed
Area 1.) Trees along edge of South Road, Crown lift to 5m.Area 2.) Sycamore 6 no. Fell. Beech 1 no. Fell.Area 3.) Holm Oaks 5 no. Reduce height from 8 to 5m. Application reference: 17/05647/TPO received on 20/11/2017.
Decisions by B&NES:
Demolition and replacement of the cycle store, including installation of scooter pods. Application reference: 17/05145/FUL received on 23/10/2017. PERMITTED
Alterations to the main dwelling, erection of a second storey extension and a loft conversion to allow for the conversion in to two flats. Demolition of the existing shop and construction of a two storey building allowing for a commercial property on the ground floor and residential unit on the first floor. Conversion of an outbuilding into a holiday accommodation at the rear of the property. Application reference: 17/05113/FUL received on 19/10/2017 WITHDRAWN by applicant.
Conversion of former hall to 2 no. dwellings Application reference: 17/03341/FUL received on 12/07/2017 PERMITTED
17/04376/FUL Rose Cottage, Crocombe Lane. Demolition of three garages and erection of ancillary accommodation. REFUSED
Erection of single storey rear extension. 17/04751/FUL received on 02/10/2017 PERMITTED
Erection of single storey side extension. 17/04687/FUL received on 27/09/2017 PERMITTED
17/01344/FUL Parking Area Between 4 And 6, Greenvale Drive, Timsbury
Erection of 1 extra attached dwelling with revisions to previously approved site layout and parking. APPEAL DISMISSED