Need shopping or medications when Self-Isolating for the Coronavirus?
Updated 31st March
During the next few months local volunteers in the village are offering a shopping and medications pick-up service to people who are self- isolating.
If you need shopping this is how it works:
- Call 01761 472448 or 07943 668796 or email TimsburyCR@gmail.com
- Give your name, address and a contact number.
- List the items that you need up to a total value of £30.
- A volunteer will contact you when they have the items. They will confirm your order and tell you the exact cost and time of the delivery (for security).
- Place cash in a clear plastic bag (if you need to use a cheque make it payable to the volunteer) and leave outside your door in a pre-arranged place just before delivery time.
- The volunteer will take the cash and leave your shopping, receipt and change on the doorstep for you to collect AFTER they have left. Please do not try to speak to the volunteer.
- Medications are dealt with by a special team trained by the Pharmacy.
Volunteers – How the scheme works:
- You will need a phone or tablet with a camera and email.
- You will be contacted by a team leader who will email you a shopping list, a contact number, name and address.
- Buy the items, which generally will not come to more than £30. Occasionally a family may need a larger order in which case your team leader will check you are happy to handle this. Take a photo of the receipt. When items are not in stock try to find an alternative – common sense to be used!
- Contact the home and tell them what time you will deliver and the cost of the items. Ask them how they would like to pay, BACS is the safest in terms of virus but some older folk in the village may not be able to use this. If they are paying cash ask them to leave the money in a clear plastic bag outside the house just before delivery time. You might like to arrange where the money will be put.
Remind your customer that the food packets should be handled with care due to presence of the virus.
- Pick up the plastic bag and photo the money or cheque. (This is to protect you and the homeowner) Place the plastic bag in another bag in your car. Plastic and money can hold the virus for a week.
Do bear in mind that the goods you are buying may also be carrying the virus.
- Leave the items at the home.
- Email photos of the receipt and money/cheque to TimsburyCR@gmail.com
- Wash your hands!
- You will NOT be asked to pick up prescriptions, or medicines of any kind. Ask them to contact one of the numbers or the email address and the dedicated and trained pharmacy team will help them. If a ‘customer’ asks you directly at any time please say ‘no’.
(Some details may have to change to make the scheme better)
This scheme of amazing volunteers is organised by Timsbury Churches and Timsbury Parish Council in cooperation with local Medical Practitioners